Best Green Smoothie Recipe
Dec 26, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This green smoothie is a fresh, healthy, and nutrient-dense recipe that will fuel your mornings. It’s nice and slushy, naturally sweet, and a simple way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and vegetables!
I’ve been making this green smoothie recipe for decades, it’s my go-to! And while you can make variations to it (see my tips below), it really is an everyday green smoothie that you can turn to repeatedly. In fact, it might actually get you excited to get out of bed in the mornings to blend it up! So, what makes this recipe the best?
- It’s super simple — just five basic ingredients.
- It’s well-rounded with nutrients and quite filling.
- Unlike other recipes, this one actually tastes good. It’s not overly bitter and has a hint of natural sweetness.
The key to a great green smoothie is choosing the right ingredients with the correct quantities. Proportions are everything, for both texture and flavor. Today’s recipe is perfectly balanced and great option for beginner smoothie enthusiasts, but consider it a building block that you can then tweak to your liking. And after you nail this recipe, you can master the perfect green juice!
Green Smoothie Ingredients
While the ingredient list is extremely flexible, this is my favorite combination of fruits, veggies, and healthy fats. It’s simple yet so delicious.
- Milk: My favorite options for a creamy smoothie are cashew milk, oat milk, or almond milk. But feel free to use whichever dairy or dairy-free milk you prefer.
- Vegetables: Spinach is an easy leafy green superfood to add to green smoothies. Plus, those big containers of baby spinach are very budget-friendly.
- Fruits: You’ll need an apple, avocado, and a banana — a good balance of fruits and healthy fats. If you want to swap any of these, I’ve got ingredient substitutions listed below.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make A Healthy Green Smoothie
It couldn’t be any easier! Just add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until it’s perfectly smooth and creamy. It should only take about 30 seconds!
Tips & Substitutions
If you haven’t read my post on how to make the healthiest green smoothie, make sure to do that. But here are a few quick tips:
- Switch up the greens: A few leafy greens that blend well are kale, spinach, or chard. But if you have celery, mustard greens, or romaine on hand, those are great options.
- Stick with a healthy liquid base: Since you’ll already be adding fruit into your smoothie, it’s best to not add any additional sugars with fruit juice. Instead, opt for water or milk (dairy or dairy-free, your choice).
- Make it thicker or thinner. If you want your smoothie a bit thicker, add another ¼ slice of avocado. If you want your smoothie a bit thinner, just add more liquid.
- Mix up your fruits: A 2:1 ratio between fruits and vegetables is a good rule of thumb. Over time, you can increase to a 1:1 ratio for a lower sugar smoothie. Some of my favorite fruits are frozen bananas, strawberries, mangos, and pineapple.
- Don’t forget about healthy fats: Healthy fats help you absorb all of the nutrients from vegetables and fruits. If you don’t have an avocado, add healthy fats from almond butter, or other nuts and seeds.
Definitely! I do this in my post workout green smoothie. Feel free to add a scoop of your favorite collagen, powder powder, or some Greek yogurt. If adding Greek yogurt, keep in mind that it’ll add a tangy flavor.
You can, but just be aware that anything with avocado will brown over time. So it may look a little murky the next day (though it’s still fine to drink!). But because this recipe is so easy, I usually make it fresh on the spot.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Next time you’re at the market, grab a handful of seasonal ingredients and whip up these other smoothie ideas!
- Mango Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Apple Carrot Beet Smoothie
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie
- Cilantro Smoothie
I hope this green smoothie recipe makes it into your weekly rotation! Once you make it, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the recipe in the comment box below. Your review will help other readers in the community.
Best Green Smoothie Recipe (5 Ingredients)
- Vitamix Blender My favorite blender for ultra-creamy smoothies!
- 1 ½ cup milk (dairy or dairy-free)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 apple
- ¼ avocado
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds, or until creamy.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally posted Jan 2020, but updated to include new information.