Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
Jan 07, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy.
This Crockpot chicken with a Mexican-infused salsa verde spin is guaranteed to be a family favorite. The shredded chicken is juicy, tender, and brimming with spicy, and tangy flavors. Just toss everything into a slow cooker or Crockpot, and in about 3 hours, the most delicious chicken is ready to be plated with sides, stuffed into tacos, and more!
When I’m not making carnitas or barbacoa, this salsa verde Crockpot chicken recipe is always on the dinner menu. It’s a set-it-and-forget-it meal that cooks with ease in a Crockpot, creating the most tender pieces of shredded chicken. Thank goodness for slow cooker recipes!
But the secret to the phenomenal flavor in this recipe lies in my homemade salsa verde. Unlike the store-bought jarred versions, my recipe is authentic (with no added fillers), and just five simple ingredients. A simple blend of tomatillos, jalapeño peppers, and garlic are roasted in the oven, imparting a beautifully smokey flavor, then blended with onion and cilantro for the tastiest green salsa ever.
Salsa Verde Crockpot Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: Grab two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. This is usually four chicken breasts.
- Salsa Verde: Although you can buy the jarred kind, I highly recommend making it from scratch. It’s SO easy with my recipe and tastes a thousand times better!
- Seasoning: Since most of the flavor comes from the salsa verde, a dash of salt and sprinkle of cumin is all you need.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro on top is a must for those Mexican cuisine vibes!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken In a Crockpot
Add everything to the Crockpot. Add the chicken, salsa verde, salt, and cumin to a Crockpot. Mix it all together, then add the lid, and cook it for 2 ½ to 3 hours on high, or 4 to 5 hours on low.
Shred the chicken. Using tongs, remove the chicken, place it on a cutting board, and shred it with two forks. Alternatively, you can use this shredded chicken method, which is quickly made in a stand mixer (it’s one of my favorite kitchen hacks!).
The final step. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir together. The chicken should be nice and juicy and coated with delicious salsa verde. Note: If you’d like a creamy texture, see my tip in the recipe card.
Ways To Enjoy It
- Rice plate or bowl: My favorite way to enjoy this is with cilantro lime rice, black beans, and avocado slices (or guacamole). Don’t forget the sour cream, fresh cilantro, and jalapeno peppers on top! It makes all the difference.
- Chicken Tacos: Give Tuesday taco night a fresh twist! To complete your tacos, prep some warmed tortillas with a few bowls of freshly chopped cilantro, diced avocado, diced red onion, and lime wedges.
- Chicken Quesadilla: If you love quesadillas, add a large tortilla to a pan to warm up, sprinkle grated cheese on one half of the tortilla, along with a layer of salsa verde chicken. Flip the other half over to enclose the quesadilla and carefully flip it with a spatula. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden. So yum!
- Nachos: You can make this part of a super-loaded nachos appetizer. But, for this recipe, I like to keep it a bit more simple, similar to my carnitas nachos. Tortilla chips, shredded cheese, jalapeno, and guacamole are all you need!
If you’re cooking more than 2 pounds of chicken, I would cook it on high for an hour more. Then, check to see if all the chicken breasts are tender enough and adjust from there.
Yes! Add everything to your Dutch oven and cook for 3 to 4 hours at 250°F, or until it becomes tender enough to shred. Note: Each oven heats differently so be sure to check your chicken at the 2-hour mark!
- To store in the fridge: This will stay good in the fridge for 4 to 5 days, making it perfect to enjoy throughout the week.
- To freeze for later: It’s always a good idea to freeze an extra batch! It’ll stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months, and be the tastiest meal to reheat at a moment’s notice.
- For reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw it the fridge the night before, and then reheat in the microwave for a few minutes until warmed through.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Whether you’ve got a Crockpot or other slow cooker, you’re going to love these recipes!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork: The best-pulled pork you’ll ever have.
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken: Another slow cooker chicken staple.
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast: The most comforting complete meal.
I hope you enjoy this Crockpot salsa verde chicken recipe! If you make it, I’d love to know how it turned out in the comment box below. Your review will help other readers in the community.
Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Slow Cooker My favorite slow cooker!
- Slow cook. Add the chicken, salsa verde, salt, and cumin to a slow cooker. Mix it all together, then add the lid, and cook it for 2 ½ to 3 hours on high, or 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Shred the chicken. Using tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Mix together. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir together. If you'd like a creamier texture, see my note below. Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
- For a creamy salsa verde chicken, add ½ cup of sour cream to the Crockpot at the end, and then stir together with the shredded chicken. This is my personal favorite way to make it! It adds a creamy, tanginess to the chicken.
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.